When I find out I'm pregnant can I have a private obstetrician as well as my LMC (Midwife)?

Yes you can have what we call 'shared care'.

Is there a fee for a Private Obstetrician?

Yes you pay a fee depending on what type of care you require. Please phone reception and they can discuss your options with you.

Can I self refer to see Dr Samantha Wettasinghe for gynaecological symptoms or concerns?

Yes you can self refer but we will ask you to get a referral from your GP as they can forward any relevant details and test results. Also if you are insured your insurance company will want a copy of a referral letter.

What are the fees for services at Adelpha Care?

Please phone our receptionist for any pricing queries you may have.

Does Dr Samantha Wettasinghe perform surgeries?

Yes she does. Take a look at our surgery page which gives a list of the many surgeries she is qualified to perform. Some surgeries can be performed at Adelpha Care otherwise you will be booked in for surgery at Grace Hospital.

Will my insurance company cover my treatment costs?

Each insurance policy & company is different. We recommend you contact your insurance company and clarify what they are prepared to cover. Generally speaking we normally ask you to pay the cost and reclaim this from your company. We can provide a full invoice and receipt.

Am I able to attend a gynaecological appointment if I have my period?

It's a good idea to check with our nursing staff as this depends on the reason for your appointment. A smear cannot be taken when you have a period but a pelvic examination can be performed if necessary or urgent. Sometimes it's a good idea to visit us to discuss your problem even if you do have a period. You may need to return once the period has finished, if you require an examination.

How do I know if I am going through menopause?

Women experience menopause at the age of 51, on average. Symptoms include night sweats, hot flushes, nervousness, irritability, sleep disturbance, loss of libido and loss of self confidence. These can start to become a problem up to four or five years before menopause. The term "menopause" actually means "the last period". If you start experiencing some of the above symptoms then it is likely that you are going through menopause. If you are under 45 and concerned about early menopause, you can make an appointment to see Dr Samantha Wettasinghe at Adelpha Care.

I have a lump in my breast and I'm afraid it's cancer. Should I be worried?

Eight out of 10 lumps that women may feel in their breasts are benign (not cancerous). A benign lump can be a collection of normal or hyperactive breast gland cells, or it may be a water-filled sac (cyst).

In any event, if you feel a lump and you're worried about it, DON'T HESITATE TO SEE A DOCTOR. By getting a doctor to check the lump you'll ease your fears. And if it's something serious, you can start getting treatment right away. If you are concerned about any breast abnormalities, you can make an appointment to see your doctor.

How long should it take to get pregnant?

Women in their early 20s are generally more fertile than women in their late 30s. Seventy per cent of women in their early 20s will conceive within six months of undertaking contraception-free intercourse. For women in their late 30s the figure is more like 40 per cent. Generally, we encourage couples to seek professional help if they have been trying to conceive without success for 12 months, or six months if the woman is over the age of 35. If you are worried that something isn't right, give yourself some peace of mind by finding out. If you or your partner have any concerns about your general health then it's a good idea to make an appointment with your doctor or a specialist.

Remember to start taking folic acid a month before trying to conceive (you can buy this over the counter from your local pharmacy) and eat a healthy diet. You should also limit your alcohol intake and stop smoking.

I am leaking urine, what help is available?

Women should do pelvic floor exercises regularly - whether they leak or not.  Pelvic floor exercises may be all that is required to prevent leakage. If you have already experienced menopause, vaginal oestrogen cream should also be used twice weekly. This can have quite a dramatic effect on improving leakage. It can also improve lubrication and arousal during intercourse. If the above doesn't work, surgery may be an option for you. To book a consultation with one of our specialists, contact reception.

Do I need to worry about fibroids?

Fibroids are benign tumours in the uterus. They are very common but most are small. By the time a woman reaches the age of 35, she has a 30 per cent chance of having one or more fibroids. Most of these would be less than two centimetres in size and may never cause any problems at all. In fact many are only detected when a pelvic ultrasound scan is performed for another reason. If fibroids become large or if they lie just under the surface of the lining of the uterus, then they may be associated with painful cramps and/or heavy bleeding. If fibroids grow larger than the size of a grapefruit, they can put pressure on other organs such as the bladder or rectum.